AnNike 2016 is made with 100% Sauvignon Blanc, with a 12-day fermentation without the skin at a 16°C controlled temperature. Aged in stainless steel tanks on fine lees for eight months and another six months in the bottle at 14°C. It has a straw yellow color and crystal-clear limpidity. Although it’s meant to be enjoyed young, the wine is still continuing to show the peak of its lovely personality. In the nose, there is a good intensity of aromas of fresh tomato leaves, ripe peaches, lychees and fresh herbs. The sapidity is quite underlined in the mouth as well as the acidity and crispness.
Cantina Del Tufaio is located in the town of Zagarolo, about 40 kilometers from Rome on the eastern side. It’s a winery that was created in 1994 by the heirs of Antica Casata Loreti to continue a family tradition that goes way back in the late 19th century. Behind the production of Cantina Del Tufaio is Claudio Loreti, his wife Maria and daughter Nicoletta.
The wine calls for a refreshing spring meal of pan-fried sole with a couple of vegetable dishes: fresh fava beans, blanched then dressed in extra virgin olive oil, lemon, salt, mint leaves and celery blossoms, and some grilled zucchini drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and salt. Then to finish it, a bowl of strawberries with fresh mint leaves. It is a beautiful rendition to the warm spring days highlighting the season’s vegetables which are dressed with the simplicity of Mediterranean flavors.
Fava Bean Salad With Lemon and Oil Dressing
- 500 grams shelled fava beans
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- Fresh mint leaves
- Fresh celery blossoms (optional)
1. In a pot of salted boiling water, blanch the fava beans for 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the beans to a waiting bowl of iced water to cut the cooking. Peel out the beans from the covering by popping them out. Place them in a serving bowl.
2. In a small bowl, mix the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper. Taste and adjust.
3. In the serving bowl with the fava beans, add the dressing, mint leaves and celery blossoms if using.
Cantina Del Tufaio
Via di Colle Cancellata di Mezzo, 30
00039 Zagarolo (RM), Italy
Tel/Fax: +39 069524502